About

JSS Mahavidyapeetha

Jagadguru His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Shivarathri Deshikendra Mahaswamiji,

President, JSS Mahavidyapeetha.

The Jagadguru Veerasimhaasana Peetha established in the 11th Century A.D. at Suttur by Adi Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Shivayogi Mahaswamiji has a history dating back to 1000 years, according to the scriptures. Suttur is a village in Nanjangud taluk, Mysore district in Karnataka. It is about 28 km from Mysore city, in the south east direction.

The Peetha with its high ideals has been making remarkable contribution in religious, social, educational and economic spheres in the state and across the country. It is striving for social development by responding to the community needs. It strongly believes that unless the problems of the socially backward communities and the poor are solved, there cannot be any social development. With this objective, it has taken up several development initiatives, while at the same time living up to its principle of `work is worship’ and is engaged in raising public awareness on issues of social concern.

The establishment of the Samskritha Paathashala by the 22nd Peethadheeshwara (Pontiff) Sri Shivarathreeshwara Mahaswamiji who was popularly known as the Mantra Maharshi might be called a landmark in the history of the Sree Math. When the 23rd Peethadheeshwara (Pontiff) Jagadguru Dr. Sri Shivaratri Rajendra Mahaswamiji came to Mysore in 1926 to pursue higher education, he observed that many rural students were in need of food and shelter. He gave them shelter at his own place and this marked the beginning of offering education to poor students. As far back as 1942, he established a hostel and offered free food and hostel facilities for poor rural students. This marked Sree Math’s first step in the field of development of the society.

Instead of making students come to cities seeking education, Jagadguru Dr. Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Swamiji thought of starting educational institutions in rural areas. In order to make this possible, he started the Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Mahavidya-peetha in 1954. In order to implement the educational programs, it was registered under the Societies’ Registration Act 1960, vide: Reg. No. 12/1962 on 17-07-1962. Under the untiring efforts of Dr. Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamiji, the Vidyapeetha has witnessed enormous growth in the field of education.

JSS Mahavidyapeetha which took its first step in the field of education with the starting of a high school has now forayed into Crèches, Primary schools, High schools, Pre-university and Degree Colleges, Law, Engineering, Medicine, Dental Sciences and Pharmacy and has thus provided all classes of the society easy access to educational opportunities. Now, the JSS Deemed to be University has been started and Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Colleges at Mysore and Ooty are brought under its control since 2008.

Under the leadership of the present pontiff, the 24th Peethadhyaksha, Sri Shivarathri Deshikendra Mahaswamiji, the Mahavidyapeetha has not only established educational institutions in places where necessary, it has also made sure that all these institutions impart quality education. Engineering, medical, dental and law colleges run by JSS are reputed to be the best educational institutions of their kind in the state and have also become autonomous. Apart from formal and vocational training, a training institute for Civil Services Examinations and Jana Shikshana Samsthans have also been established as the Mahavidyapeetha has realized the need for continuing education.

The JSS Mahavidyapeetha has been undertaking public welfare programmes in various fields that help the holistic development of the society.

Technical Education under JSSMVP

Pro. M H Dhananjaya

Pro. M H Dhananjaya,

Advisor,Technical Education Division, JSSMVP.

Dr. C. Ranganathaiah

Dr. C Ranganathaiah,

Director (Administration & Academics)

In its National Education Policy, the Central Government has accorded great importance to technical education. In keeping with the national policy and responding to the local needs of the society, the JSS Mahavidyapeetha has given importance to technical education. At a time when there were not many facilities for technical education, the establishment of Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering in Mysore in the early 1960s by the JSS MVP laid a firm foundation for technical education in the private sector.

The Technical Education Division of JSSMVP provides guidance to the technical education institutes. Under the Division, there were 4 engineering colleges, including those in Mauritius and NOIDA, 4 polytechnics (1 for women and 1 for the differently abled students), 3 Industrial Training Centres, 1 International Institutes of Professional Studies and 3 STEPS (Science and Technology Entrepreneurs’ Park) attached to engineering colleges and some other institutions. Under the able guidance of Prof. M.H. Dhananjaya, Director of Technical Education and Dr. C Ranganathaiah, Director (Academic & Administrative) these institutions is achieving its goal in providing trained technical manpower to the country through the qualified and committed staff members with the state-of-the-art infrastructure.

About Institution

Shri N Shekar, Principal

JSS Polytechnic for Women.

 JSS Polytechnic was established in the year 1980 and the institution is located in a sprawling campus of 55 acres at Manasagangothri, Mysore. The Polytechnic is governed by the Grant-In - Aid rules of Government of Karnataka and is under the purview of Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Karnataka.
      The Polytechnic is in the premises of the JSS Technical Institutions Campus and has a commendable infrastructure supported with full fledged staff, state-of-the-art laboratory and library.  The Institution was started with Two courses in the year 1980 and now has Eight courses with a total strength of 887 students. The Institution was admitted to Grant-in-Aid status in 1983 and is receiving grants from Government since then.

In addition to imparting diploma education, non-formal training programs are being organized, which are sponsored by Government of India/ World Bank/ State Government/ Community Development Through Polytechnic Schemes.

     The Institution has a sanctioned intake of 1395 students. An adorable number of successful outgoing students are well placed in different Central/State Government Departments, MultiNational Companies, Public/Private Sector Industries, etc., and many are pursuing higher education in reputed colleges. Academic excellence achieved by our Polytechnic has made it as one of the most sought after Institutions in Karnataka.